Goals

My Current Goals:
1. Finish a 5K Race at my personal best. ~Achieved!
2. Run the Jul 21st 5K Race at a 10-min mile pace or less.
3. Win 3rd Place in my age division.
4. Win 1st Place in my age division.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Thunderstorm Run


I didn't get to run this morning because of storms in the area, but tonight all was calm when I headed out to run. It was almost dark, so I took my tiny flashlight in my pocket in case I needed it on the way back.

As I was doing my warm-up walk, it started to rain very lightly, but I didn't think much of it. I figured maybe it would just be a light rain, no big deal. I felt really good tonight once I started running, and was bookin' it. I was trying not to run too fast, since the Smartcoach training program wants me to run at a slow pace, though a little faster than previously. I couldn't seem to help myself, though. I just felt so good.

The rain began to get harder and harder, however. At first I figured, okay, I can deal with this. This is fun, running in the rain, getting soaked. I was actually looking forward to the rest of the run, despite having to finally take my glasses off and put them in my pocket, and having to constantly wipe the rain out of my eyes. No worries about getting too hot and sweaty! The rain made it nice and cool.

Running without my glasses in the rain was interesting, though. My vision is something like 20/250 without glasses. Yah. Good thing the majority of my run involves very little traffic. LOL. As it was, I was having fun figuring out where the deep puddles were so I could try and avoid them. I tried not to let the fact that my socks, shoes and clothes were getting wetter by the minute bother me. Though it was hard to ignore my sopping wet running bra that was, um, making things feel kinda weird in there. Haha. But I was willing to tough it out.

Then the thunder and lightening came. Ugh.

Time to turn around. And I was only a little under a mile into my run. At least I would be getting a total of about 1.75 miles if I ran all the way back.

On the way back, it got worse. Harder rain, and more lightening, this time it lit up the sky. Time to call my husband, since I was still about a mile away from my house (a mile doesn't seem like a lot unless your dodging lightening bolts, lol). I knew it would take him awhile to get to me because he had to get my 5-year old daughter ready and load her up in the van, so I just kept running, and I'm pretty sure I picked up my pace.

Then the wind came. Now the rain was coming at me sideways, like pellets. But I refused to stop running, so I just gritted my teeth, put my arm up to protect my face, and kept going, prayed it wasn't the beginning of a hail storm.

As I ran past the McDonald's where I figured my husband would be waiting by that time in the parking lot, I didn't see him, and the lightening had let up, though the hard rain had not, so I continued to run. I picked up my pace even more to see if I could make it to the long dirt road that leads to our house before my husband got to the end of it to pull out onto the highway, because I had told him I would meet him at the McDonald's, so he might not have seen me on the sidewalk in the pouring down rain.

And I made it! I turned and kept running down the dirt road, where I usually do my cool-down walk, and still no husband. I finally had to stop and walk at that point, though, because the puddles were just too deep there. Then I saw headlights. Phew.

I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to finish my run, but I can always try again tomorrow morning. At least now I can say I ran in my first thunderstorm. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment