Goals

My Current Goals:
1. Finish a 5K Race at my personal best. ~Achieved!
2. Run the Jul 21st 5K Race at a 10-min mile pace or less.
3. Win 3rd Place in my age division.
4. Win 1st Place in my age division.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Two new additions to our family; 5 miles in two days


A week ago we brought home two new babies, one male calico kitten and one female calico kitten, named by my daughter, "Morris," and "Rosa." It has been a wonderful fit for our little family. I have to admit to being a little nervous about how my five year old daughter would do with seven week old kittens (who are now nine weeks), but she has surprised me by doing okay. As okay as can be expected with a five year old, that is.

It is a wonderful thing to be greeted by two little cutie pies every morning as they come out from their nighttime sleeping hideout and come scurrying up to me to "hug" my legs, or stand on their hind legs and beg for me to pick them up. They're smart little boogers, too. Rosa has figured out that, refrigerator door open means soft cat food or cat milk, so she jumps up on the refrigerator door and appears to be trying to open it up. Which makes her look pretty smart, until, of course, she lands in her water dish and runs off jerking her paws out to the side.

And there is nothing like a warm, soft, purring ball of fur curled up on your neck or in your lap. Or on your shoulder, perched there and nibbling on your ear, watching everything you're doing, like Morris did with my husband this morning. Priceless.

There are advantages to having two kittens versus one, too. They keep each other company while we're gone, and keep each other occupied a lot. Plus, you get double the cuteness, and double balls of fur in your lap. Of course, when they're feeling particularly mischievous, then it's double trouble.

On to the boring subject of my running. :-) Last night (at 8:00pm, no less) I ran 3 miles, then this morning I ran 2 miles to make up for only running about 1.6 miles on Wednesday, so that I could still get my mileage in for the week. My legs felt stiff and heavy during yesterday's run, and last night when I went to bed, I had some pain just to the left of my tailbone and down into my left leg. I wonder if running through the mall with my daughter yesterday afternoon might have contributed to that. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was a muscle spasm deep within the muscle there. Massaging and stretching and doing my version of a shortcut to "foam rolling" didn't help, so finally I took some ibuprofen and after about twenty minutes, relief. This morning I woke up early and the pain was gone, and my legs felt good, so my 2 mile run went well, save a little bit of stiffness. I took it nice and easy to make sure I wasn't overdoing it, since I don't usually run two days in a row, and it's also the first time I've run 5 miles in two days.

This morning has been a lazy, playful kitten-filled Saturday morning for the most part, then this afternoon we plan to get in a matinee, maybe Madagascar 3, then tonight we're going to see my 12-year old niece perform in her end of the school year dance performance. Should be a fun day. My next run will be on Monday. It will be a 3-3-3 week, three runs of three miles each. The week after that will be a 4-3-4, followed by a 5-3-4. I cannot believe I am going to be running 5 miles, then a couple of weeks after that, 6 miles. It wasn't that long ago that it was hard for me to imagine running 3 miles without stopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment